Prevención en Salud Bucal (english)
In Sonrisas Sanas we offer treatments to conserve the optimal state of your your oral health. We have an area specifically designed for prevention and dental education with techniques such as:
- Oral health care education
- Instruction on proper brushing and flossing
- Prophylaxis/ cleaning
- Early detection of soft tissue diseases (gum, tongue, cheek) and hard tissue disease (tooth, bone)
- Instruction on use of antiseptic rinses
- Application of flourides and mineralizing drugs
- Application of sealants (which are protective layers to prevent cavities)
Prophylaxis or professional dental cleanings are perphaps the most important procedures to prevent dental diseases such as periodontitis (tissue disease), gingivitis (inflamation of the gums) and the feared caries.
Prophylaxis should be realized every 6 months. But along with this treatment its necessary to learn other good oral hygiene habits such as daily brushing, flossing, and using mouth wash. A professional dental cleaning helps prevents caries, bad breath, and tooth loss and can be done in one 40 minute session.
At Sonrisas Sanas we use the following procedures for the professional dental cleaning:
- An ultrasonic cavitron is used to eliminate tartar
- We use an abrasive toothpaste to remove stains and polish your teeth
- A prophyjet system based on sodium bicarbonate is used to remove profound plaque
- A plaque control test is conducted to show you where the most plaque is accumulating in your mouth